((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x)))

Monday, September 22, 2008

SPR720 Lab #3

Most of the material in this particular lab was already familiar to me - most of it, from personal experience and usage, and a little that I picked up in OPS435. I'm honestly pretty confident in my bash scripting skills, and while it's definitely not my language of choice for most purposes these days it can still be useful for creating quick and dirty, usually temporary solutions to small obstacles blocking the route to a solution to some larger problem. For review, I completed the following scripts from the list of suggestions accompanying the lab:

Count the number of users with user IDs between 500 and 10000 on the system (user IDs are the third field in /etc/passwd).
Count the number of files in the user's home directory which are not readable.
For each directory in the $PATH, display the number of executable files in that directory.

The programs solving these problems can be found here.

No comments: