((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x)))

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Introductory Post (LPT730 Lab #00)

Hi everyone, nice to meet you all. My name is Gregory Masseau.

As far as educational background, I am a recent graduate (with honors) from Seneca's Computer Networking and Technical Support program. As far as work, I have run my own computer repair and services business for several years as a small home business, operated an internet cafe for a period of about a year, and worked as a lab assistant in the Seneca CNS program.

My background with computers is pretty diverse, as I've played with at least a little of everything. I first started computing on an old Yamaha CX5M, an MSX computer running on a Zilog Z80 with a built in 4-operator FM synthesizer. Since then I've used the Macintosh operating system (classic), DOS, Windows starting from 3.1, OS X, Linux and BSD, as well as tinkering with a few obscure operating systems here and there. My main technical interests these days include networking, programming and audio production.

As far as networking goes, I have a small home network with maybe a dozen machines, about two thirds of which are mine, and run a number of services locally on a few small home servers including DNS, WWW, FTP, SSH, VNC, Ventrilo, SMB, NFS and MySQL. Most of the servers are now running Ubuntu Server, but there's still one left running Slackware 10.

On the programming front, I mainly work these days in Perl, Lisp and Scheme, with a little C when I have to and a little bash to tie it all together. I'm working on a number of projects, which you can learn more about on my user page on the wiki.

I'm also a bit of an amateur musician, and have a small home studio consisting of a handful of hardware synthesizers (Waldorf MicroQ, Roland Alpha Juno-2, Korg Poly 800), a few outboard soundcards, and some MIDI controllers and I/O boxes. I mostly use Apple's Logic DAW as a host these days, though I've used a number of others in the past including Cubase, FL Studio, Cakewalk and even a tiny bit of Pro Tools.

Extracurricular interests of mine include gaming (whether computer games or tabletop RPGs), audio production/composition, screen printing/stencilling, and spending far too much time on the computer.

No comments: