((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x)))

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Func Project Report 1

So, after some time of thought, high-level study, and waiting for decisions to be made regarding exactly who's writing exactly what, real work on actually getting things done with Func seems to have begun in earnest.

Chris Tyler cooked up and cloned a small handful of Fedora VMs to use for our development and testing network, and so tonight I've taken to setting them up and trying to get all the pieces in place for a working Func environment - luckily, there don't seem to be too many. Installing Func itself was a breeze, but upon moving to actually setting them up to interact with one another it seems they expect a working DNS system around them - so, my current task is setting up bind. Luckily, that's something I've done a few times, so doing it again should only be a brief distraction from setting up Func itself.

I'm still trying to get a firmer grasp on the Python language itself; while most of the concepts are familiar ones, I'm finding the actual syntax to be somewhat unappealing - to my eye, at least, it just doesn't read very well, and the flow seems somewhat unnatural to me. Nevertheless, while it seems unlikely that Python will become my language of choice, it's nothing a bit more time and practice won't solve.

I've been skimming the actual Func code, the modules in particular, and while I haven't quite attained complete understanding of all the intricacies yet, my grasp is growing better the more I read.

Back to bind.conf for me.

No comments: